Tuesday, February 2, 2010

So.. Let's analyze my media usage. I'm on the computer and use the Internet A LOT. Text messaging and e-mail is the best way to get a hold of me. Music, TV and movies aren't really my thing anymore (trash trash trash). So you could say the best way for communication professionals to get a hold of me is through phone or the Internet. Since its unlikely that advertising is going to jump into personal phones anytime soon, let's stick with the Internet.

Wow! Now I'm a print major and plan to go into newspaper writing, but how often do I pick up a paper? Once a day. How often do I read news online? Once an hour! Let's get real, the world is now online. Media professionals, move on that. Make things easily accessible. Continue with newspapers, some people love having something tangible. Go forward with broadcasting, some stories just need that visual. Then mix the two! You can do pictures, you can do text, you can do video all online. Make it happen.

To me it doesn't matter if the article is short. Some people complain blah blah you're not reaching your audience its too long. Well guess what, they're wrong. People don't read crap. People do read what interests them. So if something is long to someone, its because they find that subject boring. That's fine, read something else and let the people who do like that subject keep reading and have a GOOD read rather than a SHORT read.

When I'm a communication professional (and when do I reach that title? Graduation? a certain job? now?) I'm just going to have to push what I know is right and be able to adapt. Things change, they grow and morph into bigger and better things.

No comments:

Post a Comment